You run, lift weights, eat healthy, and drink plenty of water. But are you taking proper care of your back? A healthy back is essential in turning your body into a well-oiled machine. Think of it this way – your back is like a tree trunk and your arms/legs are tree limbs. A strong tree trunk ensures that the tree withstands the high winds. It’s the same case with your back. The stronger your back and core, the stronger and healthier the rest of your body is. A stable back and core trains your pelvis, lower back, and abdomen to work in harmony with one another. Next time you walk into the gym, throw these two back and core exercises into the mix! Use them as your warm up or your cool-down.
This one works on your core stability. It simultaneously engages your abdominals and your back.
- Start off on all fours. Bring your hands directly below your shoulders and your knees directly under your hips.
- Draw your stomach into your spine, then kick your right arm forward and your left leg back.
- Keep your hips level to the ground
- Return to the starting position
- Repeat on the other sides (left arm + right leg) to complete one rep
- Do 10 – 12 reps.
2. Glute Bridge with March
This one targets your glutes your glutes as well!
- Lie face up on the floor.
- Bend your knees and place your heels on the ground
- Raise your hips so that your body creates a straight line extending from your knees to your shoulders
- Then, in this position, lift your right knee and bring it to your chest. Lower it back to the ground slowly
- Repeat with your left leg. That is one rep
- Repeat 10 – 12 times.
Written by GUADS staff member Angelina with contributions from fitbottomedgirls.com and menshealth.com.