When it comes to cravings, I know (at least for me) it’s hard to resist temptation- but that’s what makes homemade recipes so much fun! One of my favorite things to do is develop recipes to solve an issue- like my cravings! I aim to create sweets that are dairy-free, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free. IF I’m on the go and need a quick snack, I try to focus on higher healthy fats and protein for satiety. These raw AB&J protein bars are perfect to solve any of these issues and even awesome for some post-workout fuel! What makes this recipe even better is that they’re very easy to modify and make your own! The original recipe calls for GF (gluten-free) sprouted oats, but sometimes I substitute that for almond flour + unflavored protein powder to make them grain-free. You can customize with different nuts/seeds, free dried or fresh organic berries, flavors, and seasonings. All you need is a food processor!
Raw AB&J Protein Bars Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 1 loaf tin full of bars
- ½ cup almond butter
- 4-5 small pitted dates (soaked in hot water for 15 mins)
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup pecans
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup almond flour (or GF rolled oats)
- ¼ cup plant protein powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
- 1/3-1/2 cup water
- ¾ cup freeze-dried strawberries
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor, minus the freeze-dried strawberries- you’ll use these last. Less is more when it comes to the water! Start out small and ass as needed to get the mixture to fully combine.
- Pulse (but not too long because you still want those chunks of nuts, but enough to form a dough-like consistency).
- Add in freeze-dried strawberries and pulse once more.
- Prepare a loaf tin or deep dish by pressing down parchment paper into the base.
- Press AB&J dough mixture over the parchment paper with a silicone spatula until even. Sprinkle on some more freeze-dried strawberries and hemp seeds, and gently press down.
- Refrigerate/freeze for 2-3 hours
- Remove and slice into bars. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer for an easy snack or dessert.
Written by Alexis Montgomery with contributions from https://rachaelsgoodeats.com/raw-paleo-abj-protein-bars/