This is my GO-TO recipe and honestly I never get tired of it. It is perfect for chilly days in autumn or winter (…or Spring…I’m obsessed), and it’s full of veggies and protein so it keeps you feeling full and your gut nourished! Give it a try this week, I promise you won’t regret it!
Butternut squash, sweet potato, and lentil stew by Oh She Glows
FOR THE STEW:
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 2 cups/280 g)
- 3 to 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups (400 g) peeled, seeded, and diced butternut squash*
- 1 large sweet potato (450 g), peeled and diced (2 1/2 cups/340 g)*
- 3 cups (750 mL) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (14-ounce/398 mL) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce/398 mL) can light coconut milk (I use full fat!)
- 1/2 cup (100 g) dried red lentils, rinsed**
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more if you like heat
- Fine sea salt, to taste (I use 1 1/2 teaspoons pink salt)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 teaspoons (15 mL) apple cider vinegar, or to taste
- 1 bunch chard, stemmed and finely chopped***
- Fresh cilantro or minced parsley on top
- Cooked rice on side
- Garlic powder and chili powder on top
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil for 3-5 minutes
- Add the squash and sweet potato and sauté for a few more minutes. Sprinkle salt now!
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes (with juices), coconut milk, lentils, tomato paste, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Stir well!
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes uncovered until squash and potato are tender
- Add apple cider vinegar to taste
- Stir in chard and cook until they wilt
- Serve with rice and cilantro or parsley and enjoy the heck out of it!!
Written by GUADS staff member Kate featuring recipe from ohsheglow.com