The idea of emotional intelligence, which dates back to the 1960’s, is the new staple assessment of human intelligence. An individual’s IQ had been the primary assessment of intelligence. Though IQ is important, emotional intelligence is necessary for individuals to take the next step forward. This doesn’t only pertain to progression in leadership and the workplace, but also in the household and personal relationships.
So what is emotional intelligence?
Emotional intelligence can be defined as the ability to recognize, understand, and manage your own emotions and the emotions of others. Individuals with high emotional intelligence understand that emotions control behavior, and know how to manage those emotions.
Daniel Goleman is a prominent figure in the world of emotional intelligence. In his book, “Working With Emotional Intelligence” he states that in determining who will be successful in a workplace, emotional intelligence counts for twice as much as IQ and technical skills combined!
How Can I Boost My EI?
Daniel Goleman stated that those looking to improve their emotional intelligence, can do so with three questions.
- What are the differences between how you see yourself and how others see you?
- Here you look at the gap between your self-perception and your reputation. Who are you really, according to others? Get help. As a friend, co-worker, family member, employer, etc. to determine some of these different factors.
- What, of these differences, matters to you?
- Compare these items in this gap to your goals and where you want to be in the future. Don’t simply be interested in the areas that someone tells you to be interested in. The main areas you should be working on are those that are both what you have been told, and what are most important when it comes to your aspirations.
- What changes will you make to achieve these goals?
- Last is the time to take action. Once you have determined what areas you need to work on and which of these areas are most important, it is then time to decide what actions you are going to take to work on them.
Answer these questions, in that order. It will help you to figure out old habits and reactions that aren’t serving you, and determine those that will.