What’s the only thing better than a sweaty, challenging, upbeat workout? Doing that workout with a friend – duh! Studies show that perceived support from our peers can have an influence on our exercise habits. What’s more, working out with a friend makes going to the gym a little less daunting and a little more fun! So round up a buddy, slip on your sneakers, and tackle this partner-based workout!
1. High Five Push-Ups
- Get in push-up position. You and your partner should be head-to-head
- Lower yourself into a push-up at the same time, and push back up at the same time.
- At the top of the movement, each partner raises their right arm and high fives their partner.
- Do another push-up, then repeat the high five on the left side
- Complete 3 sets of 12 reps.
2. Wall Sit and Burpees
- Designate someone to be partner #1 and someone to be partner #2
- Partner #1 completes 20 burpees.
- While partner #1 is burpee-ing (is that even a word?), partner #2 holds a wall sit.
- Once partner #1 completes the 20th rep, SWITCH! Parter #2 will be burpee-ing and partner #2 will be holding the wall sit.
- Try to complete 3 full round so that you each do three sets of each exercise
3. Seated Twist
- Sit back to back with your partner
- Bend your knees slightly
- Parter #1 holds a medicine ball by their chest
- While keeping abs engaged, twist at your trunk to your right side and hand the medicine ball to your partner.
- Then twist to your left side so they can hand it back to you.
- Do 3 x 20 reps
4. Competition Planks
- Time for a little friendly competition! See who can hold a plank (with good form!) the longest.
- Your backs should be as flat as a board, no butts up in the air!
- Pretend like there is a grapefruit in between your shoulder blades. Then pretend like you are bracing for someone to punch you in the stomach. This will engage your shoulders and core properly.
- Set a timer and GO
- Loser buys their partner a post-workout smoothie 🙂
Written by GUADS staff member Angelina with contributions from wellandgood.com