Do you ever wonder why you get such an exuberant feeling of relief when the sun is beaming down on you? Our body naturally processes Vitamin D through two physiological processes. One is through diet, and the other is through synthesizing the energy from sunlight. Human beings have been utilizing solar power since the dawn of time to generate energy for the most important machine of all, their own bodies.
D3feat feeling Down
With the rise of technology in the U.S, many individuals find it easier to escape from reality through a screen instead of going outside. From 2005 to 2014 depression in adolescents has increased by roughly 4%, which many scientists are attributing to the use of social media. There are many variables that factor into this equation and Vitamin D might be one of them. Vitamin D3 provides substantial immune system benefits and is useful in fighting depression. Vitamin D3 can be taken as a supplement or can be acquired through food sources.
Vitamin D can be found in so many different common food sources:
- Egg yolks, so when you are sticking to egg whites for a healthier alternative remember what you are neglecting. There’s a reason why they call them “sunny side- -up.”
- Fatty fishes such as tuna, mackerel, and salmon
- Dairy products such as cheese, as well as milk which is commonly fortified with Vitamin D
- Mushrooms, like humans, can synthesize sunlight.
- Orange Juice is also often fortified with Vitamin D, however don’t be fooled by the marketability of Sunny D; stick with the natural stuff.
There are many health benefits attached to living on the coast which demonstrate why those populations are living such happy lifestyles.
- Constant exposure to sunlight
- Accessibility to quality seafood which generates a diet high in Vitamin D and Omega-3 fatty acids
- Soothing energies associated with being close to the shore
- Walkability and an active environment for prolonged physical activity
- Close-net community allowing for a strong social environment
It is no surprise that so many individuals enjoy the beach and flock there for vacation periods. Try to take advantage of some of these principles instead of the more mainstream approaches to spring break and you might be surprised on how rested you feel when you return!