Are you the type of person who finds it hard to find the time to workout? Maybe you can only make it to the gym once or twice a week. Or maybe every time you can make it to the gym, you’re in a time crunch. Or perhaps you get bored doing the same routine, week in and week out. If you fall into any of those categories, then doing total body workouts might be right up your ally! Benefits of these workouts include:
- More calories burned in less time: combining multiple muscle groups together (as opposed to isolated groups, such as shoulders or chest) requires a greater energy demand. This equals more calories burned in less time!
- Greater gym-time flexibility: total body workouts give you the flexibility to workout when your time allows. As opposed to split-routines, you can workout once a week, twice a week, or even six times a week! And if you miss a day? No worries! Your routine won’t be thrown off.
Ready to get started? Check out one of these total body workouts the next time you walk into the gym!
Total Body #1
Do each exercise for one minute before moving onto the next exercise with little to no rest in between each exercise. When you reach the end of the circuit, rest for one to two minutes. Then repeat three to four times.
- Kettlebell Squats
- Dumbbell Push Press
- Alternating Reverse Lunges
- Mountain Climbers
Total Body #2
Complete the total number of sets and reps of each exercise before moving onto the next exercise. Rest 1 minute in-between each exercise.
- Landmine Squat (3 x 10)
- Dumbbell Flys (3 x 10 – 12)
- Romanian Deadlifts (3 x 12)
- Single Arm Landmine Press (3 x 10 each arm)
- Bench Dips (3 x 12)
- Stability Ball Pike (3 x 15)
Total Body #3
Set a time for 15 minutes. Run through each exercise as a circuit. Try to complete as many rounds as possible before time is up!
- Burpees – 15 reps
- Weighted sumo squats – 15 reps
- Push Ups – 15 reps
- V-Ups – 15 reps
Feel free to exchange any exercise you don’t have the proper equipment for or don’t like! The sky is the limit!
Written by GUADS staff member Angelina