So many Americans suffer from back pain at any given time. Even activities in your daily routine can cause back pain including things such as driving, sitting at a desk all day, poor sleeping positions, or even just cleaning your house. These seem like small daily activities that wouldn’t put much strain on your body, but they can all contribute to back pain. Although you may think that your back pain is something you have to live with for the rest of your life, there are plenty of ways to take care of the issue. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can help with back pain along with taking care of your body physically. The suffering can be limited with a simple solution. These simple back stretches can help alleviate your back pain from daily activities. Plus, these stretches can also help you relax and wind down.
Stretch It Out
Incorporating these light stretches into your routine can greatly benefit you. Stretching is extremely important for your body and there are so many different stretches to try. These are just a few of many back stretches you can do to alleviate your pain and stay healthy. Each stretch should be held for 8 full breaths. As you exhale each breath try to lower into a deeper stretch.
- Kneel on a yoga mat in tabletop with your hands under your shoulders and your knees under your hips.
- Sit your hips back onto your feet.
- Stretch your arms out forward and lay your forehead onto the mat with your eyes closed.
- Hold for eight breaths.
- Walk your hands out to one side and hold for eight more breaths.
- Do this for each side and the center.
- Start in tabletop on a yoga mat.
- Push your hips up to straighten your arms and legs in an upside-down “V” position. Your heels should be pushing towards the ground.
- Hold your gaze at your knees or thighs and hold for eight breaths.
- Sit crisscross on a yoga mat.
- Take your right hand and cross it over your body to reach you left knee, place your left hand on the floor behind you.
- Use your right hand to twist yourself lightly and look over your left shoulder so you feel a stretch in you lower back.
- Hold for eight breaths and repeat on the other side.
Written by GUADS guest writer Sara