Did you just start your fitness journey? Or are you thinking about getting started? If so, you might have a couple (or a ton) of questions about working out, exercise, and gym routines. This is totally normal! We all have to start somewhere – right? That’s why we’ve rounded up the most popular fitness related questions we get asked. Over the course of several episodes of “Ask the Trainer”, we’ll educate you on the “ins” and “outs” of exercise, fitness, and gym etiquette. Let’s get started!
“Should I do cardio or weights first?”
This is a very popular and slightly controversial question! Here’s the deal: it depends.
I know, I know. We all hate that answer! But imagine the following scenario:
- You get to the gym and then hop right on the treadmill for 30 minutes. Then you head over to the weight room to do some squats. Andddd you’re legs feel like jello because they’re already exhausted from your cardio! Consequently, you aren’t able to go as heavy or as intense. Then your form suffers because your legs are too fatigued. The result? A subpar workout with an increased risk for injury. And nobody wants that! In this case, you might want to start with your weight training.
- However, let’s say that you are training for a 5K and want to get the best time possible. This is when you would want to do cardio first!
- You want to start with the form of exercise that mirrors your goal. Makes sense right? It’s also a bit of trial and error. What works for one person might not work for another person.
- Another option if your time allows? Do your cardio and weight training on different days. For example, do strength training on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Then, do cardio training on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- The takeaway? Experiment and figure out what works for you! Keep in mind your fitness goals and go from there!
Written by GUADS staff member Angelina with contributions from womenshealthmag.com