There are so many fitness watches and trackers on the market, and they all have very similar features. So, you might be asking, what fitness tracker is best for me and my needs? When looking at fitness trackers, it is important to look for functions that interest you. For example, I was looking for a tracker to count steps, track calories burned during different workouts, and monitor sleep. Two of the best and most comparable fitness trackers on the market right now are the Apple Watch (Series 3, 4, and 5) and the Fitbit Versa (lite and 2). I will
be comparing the most basic of the two, which are the Apple Watch Series 3 and the Fitbit Versa Lite.
So, what do these watches have to offer? Here is a list of my favorite functions that both watches do.
Fitness Tracker vs. Fitness Tracker
- Monitors Heart Rate. By simply wearing the watch, it will monitor your heart rate at all times. It will also send alerts when your heart rate is at a concerning number.
- Monitors Daily Steps. This is a simple and basic function, however, both watches track steps very accurately. You can set a goal of 10,000 steps, and try to reach the goal through the day!
- Monitors Calories Burned and Time of Workout. Both watches have types of workouts you may have completed, and they measure calories burned based on the workout type. The Apple Watch Series 3 has more types of workouts to choose from like Hiit and Swimming, and the Fitbit Versa Lite has only the basics such as running, walking, and biking.
- Sleep Tracking. Both watches are capable of tracking sleep. However, the Fitbit Versa Lite has a built-in function that includes tracking sleep in the light, deep, and REM stages, while the apple watch requires you to download a sleep tracking app on your phone. Some apps cost money, however, there are free options, I am just unsure how accurate they are.
- Track Female Health. Both watches have the function of cycle tracking and symptom tracking for menstrual cycles.
Both watches have many more functions, and it all depends on personal preference. However, if you are looking for something to track daily fitness and activity, either watch is a great option.
If you do not need all the gadgets, the Fitbit versa lite is a great option for a cheap price. While the most basic model of the Apple Watch costs about $199, the Fitbit costs only $99.
Either way, a fitness tracker is a great way to start your health journey, whatever it may be!
Written by GUADS intern