If you have a dog, you know what great pets they are. They are always happy to see you, and show nothing but love and compassion towards you. They love to play or even just sit by your side! There are so many benefits to owning a dog. Here are a few benefits of having a dog – both for you and your pet!
- Improve Cardiovascular Health
- Studies have shown that owning a dog is linked to lower blood pressure, cholesterol levels and reduced risk of heart disease.
- Increase Physical Activity
- Many dogs need regular exercise. Dogs are a great excuse to go on a walk and get your exercise in!
- Improve Mental Health
- Dogs offer unconditional love. If you struggle with mental health issues or are going through a tough time, a dog is great for you!
- Lower Stress
- By just petting a dog, you body lowers its stress levels and increases serotonin (the happy chemical)
- Combat Loneliness
- Pets such as dogs can help fight feelings of loneliness and isolation.
- Community Connection
- Dogs can help an owner connect with their community and build relationships.
- Teaching Responsibility
- Owning a dog can help teach responsibility, discipline, and time management since they require care, love and attention.
These are all great reasons to get a dog. But, if you adopt a dog, not only are they improving your life, but you are also saving them. On top of that, adoption fees often go toward supporting animal shelters, so you are helping more dogs than you think! My family and I adopted a dog a few years ago. It was the best decision we’ve ever made. We all gained a new best friend out of it!
Written by GUADS staff member Emily, with contributions from strayanimalfoundationindia.org