We have all been there one time or another. You have had a long day at work or in class and just don’t feel like cooking a healthy meal. Or, you default to your standard macaroni and cheese because of the simplicity. Lucky for you, I am here to introduce you to five unique superfoods that are not only delicious but great for your body!
Whether you want to impress a friend, partner, or yourself, these foods are sure to get your tastebuds buzzing and your stomach growling for more! Did I mention that they take hardly any time at all to cook?
- Quinoa: This may look and taste like pasta, but this tiny food is actually a vegetable seed! High in fiber and protein, this superfood is a complete protein, containing all nine of the essential amino acids. I recommend boiling it first, and then sautéing it with salt and pepper to give it added flavor!
- Avocadoes: Whether it is guacamole or plain old chunks, this fruit is packed full of healthy unsaturated fats. In addition to its antioxidant properties, it goes great with almost any dish! From salads to quesadillas, you won’t be disappointed!
- Dark Greens: At this point, you may be sighing because you hate dark greens, but don’t stop just yet. My personal favorite dark green is arugula due to its earthy, bitterness. I recommend adding it to a salad or your potatoes because of the oils that it can soak up to make it extra delicious! With basically no calories, dark greens are RICH in essential vitamins and minerals.
- Green Tea: Though this is not a food, I am OBSESSED with it and have been on a real tea kick lately. Full of antioxidants, green tea helps to fight against free radicals in your body which can cause various forms of cancer. Try adding some Sativa or honey to it to make it more flavorful!
- Tomatoes: We all love pizza, right?! Well, tomatoes are full of various minerals and vitamins that can help prevent cancer. I recommend buying canned diced tomatoes which can be added to essentially any dish to spice it up and make you scream for more!
Written by GUADS intern