Happy Relaxation Day 2022! If we’re being honest, I think this is one of those made-up “national holidays” that Facebook promotes, HOWEVER rest and relaxation are such an integral part of our health and wellbeing do why not celebrate it??
Now I know most of us still have our work responsibilities but in the spirit of taking some time for needed R&R/self-care, we can get more creative than defaulting to extra screen time, right?
Screen-less Relaxing Activities
- Make a fort. Go big or go home. Building forts was one of my favorite things when I was a kid. Get all the blankets and pillows you can find and build it however you want!
- Bake or cook something with others. Kids love feeling included and needed (even if it’s for small little things like measuring out a cup of sugar) or cooking with your honey can feel like date night.
- Give yourself a facial or manicure/pedicure. No matter what age or gender you are, this is an amazing way to give yourself some TLC and participate in some active restoration!
- Play board games and build puzzles. Make it a race to win the game or a race to finish the puzzle the fastest. It’ll bring out some competitive spirit and keep everyone entertained for awhile.
- Take a shower. I know the typical relaxing activity is a bath but a hot bath in this heat sounds…less than ideal. A shower can also be so relaxing and rejuvenating! I personally hang up some eucalyptus in my shower for good smells and take a luke warm splash to bring my body temperature down on these humid days.
- Take some time to read. If you are like me, you have to read a LOT and it isn’t always the most enjoyable, which makes it hard to crave reading a book even if you do enjoy it. To celebrate the day of relaxation, try picking up something that is entertaining and enjoyable (your favorite book or even a magazine) to let your body rest while keeping your brain stimulated without a screen.
Written by GUADS staff member Toni and updated by GUADS staff member Kate