Do you find yourself spending more hours of the day on your phone then spending time with the important people in your life? You are not alone in this. Research has shown that decreasing your social media screen time can lead to an increase in overall mood and health. Let’s find out how:
1. Set time limits on your social media apps
- Monitoring how much time you spend on social media can be beneficial because often times people underestimate how many hours a day they really do spend staring at their phone. Setting a time limit in your settings on your iPhone allows you to only use social media for a certain amount of time each day. Once it runs out, those apps are locked and you no longer receive social media notifications that day. I encourage you to set a screen time limit on your social media apps each day!
2. Put your phone on grayscale
- Surprisingly, many people are not familiar with the grayscale feature on the apple devices. Putting your phone on grayscale takes all the color off your iPhone and makes everything on the screen gray. This makes the screen way less appealing to look at and discourages the urge to use it. This can be done by triple clicking the lock button on your iPhone.
3. Monitoring phone use before bed
- Screen time before bed can be very harmful to your health. The blue light emitted by our phone slows down the production of melatonin, a hormone that controls the sleep cycle. This makes it more difficult to fall asleep at night and wake up in the morning. Not using social media for an hour before bed each night can increase your sleep, your mood, and your overall health!
Written by Guest writer Kara Enright with contributions from www.helpguide.org