T’was the day after Thanksgiving and all through the room, there was the moaning and groaning of stomachache doom! For many, this holiday means festive nostalgia, family time, amazing food, traveling… all the things that make Thanksgiving so loveable! However, it may also bring a disruption in normal exercise routines, an increase in drinking, or an increase in junk or overall food consumption. You know what? IT’S OKAY. Take a deep breath with nothing but gratitude for all that amazing fun you’ve been having – guilt has no place here! However, if you are not feeling your best the day after over-indulging, here are some tips to get you back on track!
- Start your day with lemon water. Or splash some Apple Cider Vinegar if you don’t have lemon. Or just drink it plain, but please do drink that water! It is going to help cleanse your system after over-loading it.
- Skip the creamer. Whether you are a coffee or tea person, try drinking it plain – this will save on calories and act as a detoxifier for your liver.
- Load up on veggies. Anytime you eat, try to load your plate up with 75% vegetables (you can always go back for more food if you are still hungry but it’s best to fill up on whole foods first!)
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Bring your water bottle with you everywhere and fill that baby up whenever possible! I promise upping your water uptake will make you feel better and curb your desire to keep grazing!
- Move your body. Run, walk, bike, hike, jump, skip, crawl – it doesn’t matter what you do, just that you do it. Exercising after over-eating helps to burn through some of that excess of fuel and wake your organs up so they can breakdown all that food more effectively.
- Take a cold shower. Yep, this is a weird one but if you are feeling a little gross or sluggish after yesterday, a cold shower will give a shock to your system and help jump-start elimination.
These tips will help you get back to normal in no time! Now, enjoy the break and time with your family and friends – you deserve it!
Written by GUADS staff member and up-and-coming poet Kate.