Fall is just about here! (can you tell I’m ready??) While it’s by far my favorite time of the year, it comes with it’s challenges. The day get shorter, darker, and workload tends to pick up. When we have a less time and more demands, prioritizing creative projects can often go out the window; BUT did you know that taking a little bit of time out of your day to focus on creativity is associated with higher levels of happiness, optimism, and can actually lower stress?
When you are able to access a state of creative flow, your brain releases large quantities of endorphins, serotonin, and dopamine. In other words, it gives you a sense of joy, calm and contentment. We could all use more of that! Below are some fun (cheap!) Fall-themed craft ideas for your mental wellbeing:
- 100 Best Fall Crafts For Adults: www.prudentpennypincher.com
- Plant-Based Fall Recipes: www.minimalistbaker.com
- Omnivorous Fall Recipes: www.cookinglight.com
- Fall Journal Prompts: www.geezgwen.com
- Fall Doodle Ideas: www.thefab20s.com
- Autumn Art Journal Prompts: www.birchandbutton.com
- DIY Fall Jewelry Tutorials: www.wonderfuldiy.com
If none of these are striking your fancy, try some of these!
- Plan a scavenger hunt
- Try to make your favorite dish at home
- Rearrange furniture in your house or room
- Write about or draw your dreams when you wake up
- Make a postcard to send to a loved one
- Make a collage or vision board
- Learn a new song on your instrument
- Learn the moves to a dance routine
It doesn’t matter what you do, just that you set aside some time most days to create – it’s for your health, after all!
Written by GUADS staff member Kate with contributions from www.nyctherapy.com and resources posted above