Two days after Christmas, and how do you feel?? Okay, okay, maybe you read the article on how to have self-control but it you weren’t able to fully practice in (it’s the dang pie’s fault and we all know it). You know what? IT’S OKAY. Take a deep breath with nothing but gratitude for that amazing, big, meal you had – guilt has no place here! However, if you are not feeling your best the day after over-eating, here are some tips to get you back on track!
- Start your day with lemon water. Or splash some Apple Cider Vinegar if you don’t have lemon. Or just drink it plain, but please do drink that water! It is going to help cleanse your system after over-loading it.
- Skip the creamer. Whether you are a coffee or tea person, try drinking it plain – this will save on calories and act as a detoxifier for your liver.
- Load up on veggies. If you did read the article on self-control, all of the tips from that article still apply today! Anytime you eat, try to load your plate up with 75% vegetables. Yes, I know how good leftovers are on a sandwich and I think you should go for it, but maybe only eat half the sandwich and save for the rest for another meal.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Bring your water bottle with you everywhere and fill that baby up whenever possible! I promise upping your water uptake will make you feel better and curb your desire to keep grazing!
- Move your body. Run, walk, bike, hike, jump, skip, crawl – it doesn’t matter what you do, just that you do it. Exercising after over-eating helps to burn through some of that excess of fuel and wake your organs up so they can breakdown all that food more effectively.
- Take a cold shower. Yep, this is a weird one but if you are feeling a little gross or sluggish after yesterday, a cold shower will give a shock to your system and help jump-start elimination.
These tips will help you get back to normal in no time! Now, enjoy the rest of your break – you deserve it!
Written by GUADS staff member Kate.