Usually when I get back from my usual morning run, I find myself not being hungry right away. This is actually super common since endurance exercise can suppress appetite for a bit. Therefore, I have found that big meals in general do not sit well with me immediately after a run. However, I always know that it’s important for my body to get a little something to refuel, especially since I run early and don’t typically eat beforehand.
Here are some of my go-to snacks that sit well in my stomach that I love to eat to get nutrients in right after a run/workout!
- Smoothies. I love to add in frozen fruit, a source of protein (collagen or greek yogurt), and a fat/protein source, such as flaxseeds, hemp seeds, almond butter or peanut butter!
- Bars. My favorites are Lara Bars, RX Bars, GoMacro Bars, Perfect Bars, or I make my own homemade bars!
- Fruit and nut butter. I love fresh sliced apples or frozen banana paired with almond butter, cinnamon, and pink salt (the salt is good after a run to help replace electrolytes!)
- Rice cakes. Topped with mashed avocado /or/ with a combination of almond butter, blueberries, honey, and cinnamon.
- Fruit and protein shake. I love extra hydrating fruits after a run, such as watermelon, cantaloupe, oranges, pineapple, and cherries. And then for some protein, I will usually drink a shake with a scoop of protein powder and almond milk!
- Veggies and hummus. One of my go-to snacks! I always keep cut up veggies in my fridge – I love carrots, celery and cucumbers paired with my favorite brand of hummus (Ithaca hummus).
- Yogurt bowls. I love to mix some plain greek yogurt with cinnamon, and then top with fresh fruit, granola, nut butter or nuts, and more cinnamon.
- Oatmeal. Personally, I like overnight oats over a warm bowl of oats, so if I plan to eat oatmeal, I always prepare it the night before. This is also a good choice if you are someone that is low on time as it is super convenient and easy to take on-the-go.
- Savory bowl. I love a good savory bowl that sits well in my stomach! One of my go-to combos is air fried sweet potato chunks, egg whites, avocado, and steamed spinach. I mix all of this together in a bowl and then I love topping with salsa or fresh herbs. This is something I usually make if I find myself more on the hungrier side after a run!
Written by guest Kelly Wesolowski with contributions from https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/a30980352/eating-after-workout-run -refuel-not-hungry/ and edited by GUADS staff member Kate