In the past, I’ve found it really difficult to workout when I’m away from home. Your routine is disrupted, you might not have your normal space or equipment, and your time is not always your own (especially around the holidays!). I’m going to a new city for the first time this Thanksgiving, and, knowing that I’ve struggled to work out in the past, I made this list of tips to keep moving when you’re away from home – save this list to come back to this holiday season!
- See if there is a themed walk/run happening in the area and invite people to do it with you.
- Do 10 minutes of yoga when you wake up and before going to bed; it doesn’t take up a lot of time or space!
- Buy a day pass to a local gym or workout class.
- Invite family/friends to join you for a post-dinner walk.
- Search for the nearest park and go for a walk or run there.
- Are there pets at the place you’re staying? Offer to take the dog on a walk!
- Rally people for a game of backyard football or badminton.
- Incorporate movement into a board game: maybe winner must take a victory lap around the house!
As always, it doesn’t matter how you’re moving, just that you are moving! Even in times when we are away from home or out of our routine, I hope these inspire some creative ways of moving your body this holiday season!
Written by GUADS staff member Kate.