With more light being shed on the importance of mental health, more schools, employers, and organizations are acknowledging the need for mental health days. Different social environments can influence stress levels. For example, a student could be stressed for academic reasons. An employee could be stressed about their reports due at the end of the week.
Everyone has different reasons for being stressed.
Everyone has different stress levels.
If you’re starting to feel overwhelmed by stress, taking a day-off is the best thing to do for yourself. Taking a day-off will reduce your risk for burnout, and will allow you to come back with a refreshed mind. It’s understandable to feel hesitant to take a day-off; especially if it seems like everyone else is doing fine. In reality, taking a day-off will not hurt your performance in school or work, but it will actually enable productivity when you return.
Don’t Forget: It’s Your Day
Reminder: A mental health day is not a day to catch up on chores like laundry or grocery shopping (unless these activities help you relax). Continually running around almost defeats the purpose of focusing on yourself. A mental health day should be completely designed for your wants and needs. This could be reading in bed, getting a massage, engaging in a hobby, or my personal favorite, face masks!
What To Do With Your Mental Health Day
Here are some ideas regarding some things you can do during your day-off.
- Eat breakfast: if you’re like me, this meal gets skipped more often then not. Take the time to nourish your body by making your favorite breakfast meal.
- Exercise: we all know exercise is a mood-booster. I’m by no means saying you need to go run on your day off, so maybe try stretching or yoga in your room.
- Hobby: this could be anything you enjoy; reading, painting, playing music–anything!
- Napping: enough said. Who doesn’t love a good nap?!
- Call a friend or family member: Spending an hour catching up with someone you haven’t talked to in a while can be refreshing and make you feel good about reconnecting.