Some of you may already be taking a magnesium supplement or see that there is some included in your multi-vitamin, but do you know just how necessary magnesium is for our bodies?? It is UH. MAY. ZING!! Magnesium is one of the top 4 most abundant minerals in the body and each cell in the human body needs it to function, however it’s estimated that 50% of people in the U.S. and Europe are magnesium deficient.
What does magnesium do?
- It helps improve your quality of sleep.
- It increases exercise performance.
- It fights depression.
- It reduces insulin resistance.
- It reduces inflammation.
- It is thought to prevent migraines.
- It can improve your mood.
Another great thing about this miracle mineral is that it is widely found in food and in nature!
Foods High in Magnesium:
- Fish (salmon, mackerel, and halibut)
- Nuts (cashews and almonds)
- Pumpkin seeds
- Swiss Chard
- Dark Chocolate
- Black Beans
Other ways to increase magnesium is to soak in Epsom salts or to supplement (ideally with magnesium glycinate as it won’t cause stomach upset!) How will you get more magnesium into your day??
Written by GUADS staff member Kate with contributions from www.healthline.com